Sitka Historic Sites & Interpretive Centres
This historic site commemorates the Battle of Sitka, the last great battle between the Europeans and the Natives of the area. There is a fort remaining, as well as a later Russian Bishop's House, from 1843. There is a trail with examples of totem poles and temperate rain forest.
Southeast Alaska Indian Cultural Center
Located in the Sitka National Historical Park, the Southeast Alaska Indian Cultural Center provides a place where local Sitka Tlingits can maintain and nurture their culture among themselves and to teach visitors about their history and culture. See local artists working on traditional crafts and art, including totem poles.
Russian Bishop's House
Registered as a National Historic Landmark, the Russian Bishop's House was built in 1842 and is one of the last remaining examples of Russian colonial architecture in North America. Built by the Russian American Company for the Bishop of the Orthodox Church, the restored house has served as a residence, school and a chapel. It is located in the Sitka National Historical Park.
This prominent local landmark was once territory of the Kiksadi clan, then the site of early Russian buildings, including Baranof's Castle (1837), which was destroyed by fire in 1898, and the site where the transfer of Alaska to the USA happened on October 18, 1867. Castle Hill is on the National Register of Historical Places.